Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Sites of San Diego: A small town view

What a busy weekend. We were in San Diego, the big metropolis southwest of our mountain aerie. It was a great time, but I always return amazed at how quickly life progresses elsewhere compared to here.
Are we really living in Brigadoon? Am I rube? I’ve lived and worked in cities larger than San Diego for more than 30 years, so why now does it seem different than my own life experiences?
Let me give you some examples:

  • When did vodka become the principal ingredient of martinis? I grew up drinking them with gin and a twist of lemon. If someone wanted vodka they asked for it specifically.
  • A sign of the bad economic times was spotted while I was working through the neighborhoods downtown. I passed a dog and cat pet care establishment. That’s not strange, but painted on the front window, not on a sign in the window but permanently on the pane, so it must be their business — “Do it yourself dog or cat baths”
  • So what do they provide, the water and soap? Maybe they offer instructions on how to wash the ears or the under carriage?
  • Can you imagine three or four other dogs getting bathed will you wash your “child”. They’re all shaking the water off their backs, jumping and barking. Nice.Why would I go pay to do that myself?
  • Then I was made aware of the ability of large cities to plan land use more efficiently that small towns or villages. For example, next door to the dental office was the “Pain Center”. Good idea!
  • How about the location and connection of businesses on this block? First was “Pole Sinsations — fitness”, Next door was the bridal shop, along comes “Women’s careers in the future today!” Then I notice a counselor for couples and finally across the street was the San Diego County Department of Health Services!
  • San Diego is obsessed with fitness. Every few shops have something to do with your body, but it’s the city government’s participation that convinced me how much infatuation with one’s body is a part of the San Diego culture.
  • There are countdown crosswalks! “15, 14, 13, 12, 11 … 1” Now you can time yourself sprinting across the street or even run laps back and forth before the countdown hits “stop”.
  • Finally, let me share this one. As I passed a parking lot on Fifth Avenue, I saw the following sign: “Handicap spaces in this lot have excessive slope.” Is that good or bad? Maybe it gives wheelchairs a head start to the banks or restaurants.

1 comment:

report blog violators